01 June 2005

Modern Gentlemen’s Guide: Travel


Travel

Air: Always travel first-class, sitting in a cramped coach-class seat is uncomfortable and unnecessary. Airlines I enjoy flying with are:Air France, Continental, Virgin Upper Class, and British Airways. British Airways' First is by far the best way to travel to London or Europe, and Cathay Pacific is best for Asia/Hong Kong. Travelling domestically in the States is an equally torturous affair no matter the air carrier or class of service. Private air travel is definitely tops, but the luxury of it is, in my opinion, not always (I repeat not always) worth the cost.

Car: I'm a big fan of hiring a car and driver. One of the main reasons for this is the fact that I am a terribly unsafe driver. The service I most often use is Mirage Limousine Service in New York, Tristar in London and Serge my driver in Paris who also knows all of the nightclub and restaurant owners. The drivers are always well-dressed, intelligent, and prompt; and their towncars and limousines are always clean. I also use Mirage to be driven out to Long Island sometimes.

Bus: The only time I ride in a bus is when I go out to Long Island and can't get a car and driver to take me. When doing so, I always take the Hampton Luxury Liner. It's comfortable and inexpensive. The only drawback is that the service only runs about 4-5 departure times a day.

Train: Eurostar First/Premium or TGV 1ère classe.

Hotel Rooms: Always stay in the best room your hotel has to offer. I findit very important to be comfortable in my accommodations when away from home. The key to getting the best room is to make the reservation yourself and not through a secretary or travel agent. Do not let expense cloud your judgment of your accommodations. Expect to spend in the realm of $1,500-$3,000 a night for a great hotel room in the states, and closer to the $3,000-$4,000 range for a beautiful room overseas.

Travel Dining: Always go to the best restaurants when you're onvacation (and frankly, even when you're not on vacation). The key is to go to places you've heard about from reliable sources. Do not take the advice of the hotel concierge as they will more likely than not steer you to somewhere mediocre and filled with tourists.

Travel Nightlife: When at a loss as to where to go after dinner, generally it is a good idea to take a suggestion from the hotelconcierge. They usually lead you to more upscale spots and can help you avoid a hassle getting in. They also tend to have a wealth of information on shady and after-hours spots.
+Mirage Limosuine, NYC +1 212 996 0500.
+
Tristar Worldwide, London +44 (0) 1895 432000.
+Hampton Luxury Liner.
+Eurostar First/Premium.
+TGV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home